Make 2018 The Year You Actually Accomplish Your Goals!
By: Joey Kramer on January 4th, 2018The New Year is upon us once again, and with it, comes a slew of resolutions both big and small. On average, over 70% of us make some sort of resolution as we start out the new year, but unfortunately, research has continued to show, that only a minuscule number of us will actually achieve them.“Sigh”What is it about reaching our goals that we as humans find so challenging? I guess the fact is, it’s super easy to set them. For instance, I want to earn a million dollars this year…
I’m now on my way to a successful new year… That is, after sleeping away the hangover from New Year’s Eve festivities, but believe me, come January 2nd, we’re all like, “Look out world, this is gonna be my year!”
While the majority of us are ambitious and optimistic in nature, it stands to reason that we all may be a bit too overconfident when planning for our New Year’s Resolutions.In order to help us all become successful this year, we’ve compiled a Top 10 List of the most common New Year’s Resolutions that seem to pop up, year after year, and the common reasons for failure too. So I ask you, how many of us are actually going to achieve our goals in 2018? Based on the facts, the sad truth is, not many…As we begin our countdown of the Top 10 Most Common and Most Failed New Year’s Resolutions; we’ll start with the 3 most tried and true goals that always seem to top the list year in and year out, as we make it all the way down to number 10.
1. Lose Weight/Get In Shape- In one survey taken, this resolution tied as first with 37% of respondents claiming that this was their top goal for the new year. Unfortunately, out of all the new gym memberships signed in January, 60% never get used, and by mid February, most are ignored all together. Personal Trainers will tell you, in order to stay on track, bite off a bit less, and start by just going 2-3 times a week to the gym; and do something fun while you’re working out. In order to make this massive change, you need to recondition you mind into thinking that working out is fun and rewarding, and not a terrible and exhausting pain in the A##!
2. Eat Healthier-This resolution tied for first with lose weight/get in shape at 37% from the same poll. While we all would love to eat healthier, the sad reality is, that in today’s busy world, sometimes the drive thru is the only option. For the best chances at success, try by starting small, and cut out just 1 thing at a time. You can then work your way up from there as you reach your goal.
3. Quit Smoking- We’ve all known people that try to quit smoking over and over again. The sad truth is, of those that make the resolution to quit, according to a recent study, only 15% of people remain smoke free after 6 months. Not very promising news for those of us setting this goal, but there’s hope. Doctors suggests when you think about having a smoke, try waiting 10 minutes before lighting up. It will space it out, and help with your discipline as you make the journey to being smoke free.
4. Spend More Time With Friends and Family- We all want want to spend more time with loved ones and those that matter the most, but finding the time seems to be the most difficult part of the equation. Learning to schedule and set aside time is key to accomplishing this goal. Make it a priority, and simply realize that the work will still be there, so don’t stress about it. I know it’s easier said than done for most of us, but you have to put forth the effort to succeed at this resolution! Go out for dinner or drinks with friends or family, tour a winery, have a painting party, or go bowling. All of which can give you that much needed time with your loved ones.
5. Learn Something New- The great thing about life is, we never stop growing or learning. While many of us want to learn something new, like a second language, how to play a musical instrument, or even go back to school to finish that degree, the harsh reality is, most of us quit when the going gets tough. I’ve tried learning the guitar 2 times in my life, but ultimately gave up each time. Experts suggest starting small, and not overloading yourself with too much. Take it in baby steps, and your chances of success grow exponentially.
6. Be More Creative- We’ve all been told to think outside the box at some point in our lives. Creativity drives innovation! Unfortunately, many of us have lost that creative spark we once had. Research suggests, to turn off the tv, or put down the smartphone, and do something stimulating for your brain. Reading, painting, and music are all great ways to help your mind become more creative, while doing things that are rewarding and fun.
7. Take Up A New Hobby- Most of us would love to take up a new hobby, but finding the time, and committing to practicing it are usually our worst enemies when trying to achieve this resolution. Once again, research suggests to start small. Decide what new hobby you want to take up, and determine how you will achieve it. If it’s sports related, find a league somewhere and join a team. Perhaps you have a burning desire to take find your inner artists from your childhood? Simply start with a painting kit. Maybe you’ve always wanted to rock climb? Well the simple solution to achieving this resolution is, you need to take the leap, and just start doing it!
8. Make More Meaningful Connections- It is in our DNA as humans to yearn for connections with those around us. Be it family or friends, we require this as a survival tool. However, as technology continues to advance, we see our physical connections continue to diminish, while our virtual ones are increasing exponentially. The solution here is really quite simple! Put down the smartphone, and talk to someone, face to face. Schedule a night out, a lunch date, or even a painting party, and kick back, relax, and enjoy the company of those that matter to you.
9. Enjoy Life To The Fullest- What are you waiting for? We only have one life to live, and with each passing day, we get one step closer to the end. It’s not about the starting or ending date written on your tombstone, it’s about the little dash in between that really matters. The solution for success on this resolution is really quite easy. Stop wasting time, and go out and live life! Travel, eat, drink, sing, dance, paint… The world is your oyster, so go out and crack it open!
10. Reduce Stress- The more busy we get in life, the more stress and responsibilities we have. The bills are not going to stop, unless you move to the country and go off the grid. We live in a truly amazing world, but at times it can be rather crazy and exhausting to say the least. This resolution can be hard for many of us, but the simple truth is, we can all achieve it if we try. Science says that meditation, even for only a few minutes a day can greatly decrease our stress. In addition, going on a walk, listening to music, playing with your dog, or painting have all been found as great ways to reduce stress. Simply find what you enjoy doing, and go out and do it. Leave the stress at the door, and allow yourself to let go. After all, we truly are what we think. Metaphysics have shown us that our brain can be altered by our thoughts. As for me, I choose to think positive thoughts, and I try to leave the garbage at the curb.
As for me, I have a goals for this year, and a plan to achieve them. How will you handle your 2018 resolutions in order to succeed? Wishing everyone the best of luck as you approach the new year with passion and vigor, and I honestly hope that this year is the best one yet!
Follow Us On Facebook at @ApplePieParties and on Twitter@applepiepartiesFollow me on LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-joey-kramer-620b03ba/#1MillionBrushes#ApplePiePaintingSign Up For Our Email List To Receive Updates and Discounts